Thursday, April 12, 2007

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2007-04-11-robinsons-adoption_N.htm?csp=34

A new Disney movie and the editorials have been brought to my attention by a dear bloggin' friend, Third Generation Adoption. The article points out the adoptive parents point of view but from what my friend said, it lacks the point of view of the adoptee. So I decided to go check it out. I advise all to go check it out as well.

Now this may be a good movie. I just disagree with adoptees as objects to be shopped for like Angelina Jolie has done. She is fast becoming the adoptee collector. Now I am fine with her helping children but adopting from every country. Please give me a break.

Imagine having to go through 124 denials. That is what this story is about. As an adoptee that gives me a complex just thinking about it. Talk about shopping for a child.

Adoptees as a whole are not objects to be shopped for. I do understand that many adoptive parents are searching and wanting for a child to raise and love. Please realize I and the millions of adoptees out there are not products for you to purchase and own for the rest of our lives. We are living human beings. With attitudes like this prevailing, the dark side of adoption will forever see the darkside. We will never see the light. We need that light in order for us to heal from our wounds. The laws as they stand now ignore our right to be true to our nature. If we don't even know our nature, how can we even begin to be true to it?

By allowing this type of ignorance about adoption to continue, we are hurting many many people, first parents, adoptees, and adoptive parents. When all of us are demanding honesty in adoption, the media is still putting out lies about us. I wish they would get to know our collective stories. I wish that they would hear our collective voices. Maybe then we could begin to bring honesty and truth back to adoption.

No comments: