Monday, June 02, 2008

ONTO OTHER THINGS

The dustup is done. I am through with it. I hope others will also cease and desist. We have bigger fish to fry than ourselves. I thank God that Gershom exists. She is a strong, energetic, positive and empowering young woman. The protest will be on and we will join around the country in one fight in New Orleans.

I found an article about the adoptee issue in Minnesota. This is our issue. This is the issue that we are fighting for. Adoptee rights. Its an idea whose idea has come. Its up to all of us to see it through. So many adoptees are at the end of their ropes with their searches. We are tired and frustrated. We sometimes take it out on ourselves and each other. Its time to stop. Its time for all of us to work together even if its an adoption agency who believes as we do.

I would rather this day and every day forward be about remembering and honoring Julia. She was a fellow adoptee who needed desperately needed open records. She lost her life because of the failure on our part. This includes the agency involved in her adoption and all other adoption agencies. We are forgetting that adoption is about the child. We all even us grown adoptees must make sure that this never happens again. One of our own went down on May 31, 2008. She went down fighting. I love her and respect her. I didn't even know her. Her last words brought tears to my eyes. My love and condolences go to her family. Lets join in her honor and continue the fight for adoptee rights. Lets get this done and get it done right.

Here is the link. Here is the story. It looks like another letter to the editor.

State should let people have birth certificates

Published Monday, June 2, 2008

In response to Eunice Anderson’s letter on birth certificates, I truly agree! I was born and adopted in Minnesota and have tried to search for my birth mother, but the state of Minnesota thwarted all my efforts when I couldn’t get a copy of my original birth certificate, due to “old laws.” My search ended when Lutheran Social Services would start a search for my “roots” for a significant amount of money. And this was about 15 years ago. I can’t imagine what it would be today.

Thank you, Eunice, for bringing this to light. I believe many more people should lobby for this, especially birth parents and adoptees.

Way to go, governor!

Bill Lehman

Albert Lea



No comments: