Wednesday, December 24, 2008

BIRTH CERTIFICATE SCREW UP

I defend our veterans in this country. This is another story of a veteran denied a passport. Why? His birth certificate was filed a year after the fact. This story occurred out of Amarillo, Texas. I am positive that Mac Thornberry is hearing my words echoing in his head. I have spoken with his administrative assistant several times over. I have told him repeatedly that this is going to happen to someone in his district.

A friend recently told me about a neighbor who lives in Indiana and was adopted. H went through the same situation as I have. He was adopted, his parents divorced and he was re-adopted by his step parent. Well he is Indiana born. So they will accept his birth certificate in Indiana. My situation is different in that I am adopted but I live in Texas. My birth certificate has the year and month of file but it has NO date. There in lies the problem for adoptees who have moved out of state.

Jimmy Johnson was born in Tennessee but lives in Texas. His birth certificate was filed a year after his birth. Just like him, I would not be able to get a passport. The laws in these states not only affect the constituents of the state but those that have moved away from the state. Like me and Jimmy Johnson.

Homeland Security and the State Department are hurting its citizens with the unreasonable expectations of its rules. We need to fix the laws surrounding adoptions and birth certificates before we begin to crack down on illegal immigrants. Adoptees are being targeted for illegal immigration to this day.


Here is the story and the link.

State Department denied application because of his birth certificate

By Jackie Kingston
Tuesday, December 23, 2008 at 10:18 p.m.

AMARILLO -- A local man seems to have fallen into a loophole in the passport system.

It could cost this veteran a well-deserved vacation, but he says it shouldn't be happening at all.

"I was born in a little place called Hillham, Tennessee. It's deep in the hill-country of Tennessee. Halfway between Nashville and Knoxville," said Jimmy Johnson.

Johnson is a decorated war veteran, who entered the military when he was just 21. He spent several tours overseas and around the world.

"I've spent forty months overseas, I spent total seven years serving, I've gotten every award there is to get," Johnson said.

Now, years later he'd like to go visit a place he was stationed again.

There's just one problem.

"The people that issue the passports they have a problem," Johnson said, "because my birth certificate was issued one year after my birth."

This week, we went to the root of the problem, and found out exactly what it takes to get a passport.

Passport office clerk Cheyanne Wheatley told us the steps, "The first thing is to supply a birth certificate from the state. The next is an application that can be gotten online or filled out here. Then two passport photos, and of course the fees."

All the paperwork, and $200 in fees later Johnson was still denied.

Johnson has been in contact with the State Department, the Census Bureau, and Representative Mac Thornberry, but still has no passport.

"I am an American." Johnson said, "I've served my country. Its time my country served me."

We tried to get in touch with Thornberry, but he had left for the Christmas holiday.

We'll stay on it for an update on what's being done to help Johnson, right here on Pronews 7.

No comments: