Monday, April 24, 2006

MAYBE FINALLY DONE

I have gone through 5700 names, thousands of obits, read hundreds of 1920 and 1930 Census rolls, and many other ways to double check the information given to me by the adoption agency. I only found fifteen names to match my birth grandfather's information. That is what .0026%. I am currently having a friend double check them with his access to an obituary hunter. I am looking for just one of those to match. Actually I am hoping. If it is not the right ones, I guess I have to go back and double check two other groups. Now I know what I need to do, it should go much faster. I have been staying up late for the last week to finish this little adventure. I must say that I am totally grateful to my husband and my kids for being totally supportive. I owe my husband big time for being so fantastic.

For people searching, its hard work very hard work. It is very much worth it though. I do not think the state or federal government has the right to deny adoptees, birthparents, and adoptive parents rights to their history and information. This search is the very same as an individual's search for their own identity. Every non adopted person goes through that search but for adoptees its a harder one. So many times we build our lives on lies, half truths, and secrets. Just as other Americans deserve and get their identities on rock solid ground, so do Adoptees, birthparents, and adoptive parents.

I remember a time when my own mother searched for her identity. She was always attracted to Judasim. She even went as far as converting to the religion. I find it interesting that she found out that she had family members long since gone that were Jewish. It was kept quiet during that time because of World War II. It was frowned upon at the time. She finally found someone who knew enough about it that confirmed everything that she was told. It was something that she was proud of. I remember that whole scene with some clarity. I don't know if I will ever go that far in my search. I am just sticking to my birthgrandparents roots. It is enough for me to know my birth parents and their children. Right now it is good for me to know that I get my mathematically inclined brain from my birthmother. It is good enough to know that I get my cholesterol level from my birthmother. I would like to know more information. Hopefully, if God decides to bless me in the days ahead, I will get that information.

After this search is done, I am going to do exactly what Catrina suggested that I do. I will write every congressman, congresswoman, and senator in both Indiana and Texas to change the laws. No one in both the state or federal governments should decide who and what gets our personal information. That choice belongs to those of us that are affected by adoption. We all deserve to have our identities.

2 comments:

Mia said...

Indeed.

I wish you all the best in your search!

HeatherRainbow said...

((Amy))

You have done soo much work. I hope and pray that it pays off for you, and you find your family.