Thursday, September 11, 2008

SINGLING OUT ADOPTEES

A friend of mine recently mentioned something that I felt was very correct. Right now this is making the news across the country. Do I personally believe that gays should be allowed to adopt? Yes because they primarily adopt from foster care. Do I believe that Florida's and now Arkansas' new bill are unconstitutional? Yes I do. However that is not the problem here.

This particular point was brought up by my friend. What she was quoting was this piece in the previously mentioned article:

"A Monroe Circuit Court judge has ruled Florida's 31-year-old gay adoption ban ''unconstitutional'' in an order that allows an openly gay Key West foster parent to adopt a teenage boy he has raised since 2001.

Declaring the adoption to be in the boy's ''best interest,'' Circuit Judge David J. Audlin Jr. said the Florida law forbidding gay people from adopting children is contrary to the state Constitution because it singles out a group for punishment."

She brought up the next few questions in regards to this case. "What does the state of Florida and others think they are doing to adoptees? Aren't they punishing adoptees for having been adopted? We as a collective group are denied the same information that are available to the non adopted with the exceptions of six states. "

Another blogger also brought up some other points in relation to the ACLU case previously mentioned about the Texans born via midwives in the sixties. We adoptees have been suffering injustices left and right. We are seeing more and more adoptees being deported. We are seeing more and more adoptees not being allowed to get a passport due to those pesky amended birth certificates. If I had the money, I would apply for a passport. Knowing full well that I would be turned down, I would then attack the system in Indiana with the help of my state and United States legislators to bring down that system up there. How is it medical privacy for my natural mother when it concerns my birth certificate? She doesn't own the thing. Its mine and it records my birth.

Just some sassy thoughts about the various bloggers and activists that kicking it good and strong.


No comments: